Queensboro FC Academy beats FA Euro to complete the double

Over the weekend, Queensboro FC travelled to Coney Island for their second of two regular season matchups against FA Euro. The two previously played to start the first ever USL Academy season, with Queensboro FC taking all three points with a 1-0 win.
Before the season started, the two sides faced off in a pair of pre-season friendlies, so by the time September had come, they were fairly familiar with each other’s styles of play.
Play started slowly in Brooklyn as Queensboro FC kicked off, with both teams feeling out the game in the opening minutes. After trading possession a few times, the game started to open up, with players getting more physical on defense.
It didn’t take long for Queensboro FC to put together chances, but the FA Euro defense did a great job of shutting down plays before they got too dangerous. Finally the chances proved overwhelming, as a centered ball flashed in front of goal before being tapped home by Matthews Tejeda.
“When we scored our first goal, I think we got a bit of motivation,” said Tejeda. “From then we just started doing our thing.”
Not much later, Queensboro doubled their lead, with Tejada again playing a role in the goal. This time the Virginia native found an assist, flicking a ball to Damien Barker, who headed the ball home.
The 2-0 lead held until halftime, with QBFC’s focus shifting to a defensive effort to see out a win. As they took the field for the final 45 minutes, the coaches stressed defensive communication and organization to prevent costly mistakes.
“Towards the end we switched to a back four, trying to keep it nice and tight with the midfielders controlling the other team in front of us,” said defender Anderson Holt.
“We’re communicating 24/7, making sure everyone’s in the right positions and picking up their guys. Teams are vulnerable on the counterattack, so we tried to keep as organized as possible to prevent mistakes.”
FA Euro’s message at the half was a positive one. Even down two goals, they put trust in their players and let them open up play in the second half, hoping to get back into the game.
Midway through the half, FA Euro found their goal, coming from Ammar Yasir Ahmed Shaker. Now just trailing by one, FA Euro’s attack got more creative and free, hoping to find a late equalizer.
After conceding and losing the clean sheet, Queensboro doubled down their defensive effort. They were meticulous about loose balls in the box, marking attackers, and got some great plays by goalkeeper Pol Rodriguez to keep them in control.
The final whistle blew, with Queensboro FC coming out on top 2-1, completing the double over FA Euro. The win brings them to a 6-1-1 record, good for second in the league, only trailing AC Connecticut, who have already finished all 14 games in their season.

Fill the Form for Events, Advertisement or Business Listing